Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What's cooking Wednesday

What's cooking at your house today? For us, it's taco salad. Easy, pretty healthy, and YUMMY!

If I were a food photographer, this is what my salad would look like:

Instead, it looks like this slop:


Here's how I do my taco salad. There are so many variations, and so many things you can throw in salads. That's the beauty of them!

3/4 head lettuce, roughly chopped
4-6 tomatoes, roughly chopped (no canned tomatoes! Fresh! And the bigger the chop, the better in this salad, IMO)
1-2 onions, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
About 1/3 cup salsa. You can put more or less in, depending on how "wet" you like your salad.
Shredded Mexican-style cheese (I use probably more than a cup)
1 1/2 pound taco meat (yes, we use the package mixes. I'll have to find a recipe to a homemade taco seasoning)

We mix all of this and put it on top of tortilla chips. Top with avocados, sour cream, more salsa, more onions...whatever your fancy is! Then shovel it in thy face.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yum your taco salad sounds yummy and looks it too! My taco salad REALLY looks like slop! I use an entire bag of fritos, a can of refried beans, whole BAG of taco cheese, one or two tomatoes, dark red kidney beans, and seasoned hamburger meat all mixed in a bowl. I leave out the lettuce because Justin won't eat it in there for some reason, so we joke that he does just eat Taco slop wrapped in a tortilla. lol. But for me, I add some shredded lettuce and wait for it......... ranch dressing! Sounds crazy I know, but it's gooooood. I started using it because Taco Bell used to have a thing called the zesty chicken border bowl and it was served with zesty Ranch dressing. They no longer make the same one, but they do have something similar. Yum, not I wish I were having Taco Salad! We are gonna make a Chef Boyardee kit pizza tonight. Boring!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of onions ... are you sure about that?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm. Refried beans. I'm totally adding that next time.

    And yes, Tiff. I'm SURE about the onions. Mmmm. Onions.

    ReplyDelete