Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Time to Read Tuesday

  First off, I wanted to tell you a few things that have been going on in my library world. Just in case you don't know, or I have a new reader (Hi new reader!!), I am a librarian in a small/medium-sized library district. I work in the Technical Services department. When describing my job, my favorite thing to tell people is that "all new books come through MY hands first, in some capacity." Doesn't that just sound dreamy? Anyway, our library has an initiative on the ballot to open a new library in our county seat of Hillsboro!! The thought of us opening a new branch is very daunting and exciting. So, if you have any kind of library initiative in your area, please consider voting for it. It will create jobs, increase educational resources in the area, offer programs of all kinds, both fun and educational, and just be a good place to hang out!

   The other thing is that some of my co-workers and I have a book review blog, JCL Reads, that we contribute to. It's part of the "Missouri Book Challenge" and quite a few libraries participate. It's a fun thing to do, and it's also fun to "compete" with co-workers to see who reads the most. So it's a fun little site to check out. (Wow, that's a lot of "fun" in two sentences, huh?)

  I've been going through peaks and valleys in my reading. I get a good book and I voraciously read through it. Then I get a book that isn't as interesting, and I drag my way through it. Usually, even if a book doesn't have me on the edge of my seat, I still read through it pretty quickly, but I seem to be a bit draggy lately and not reading as much as usual. Anyway, I'll give a little overview of a couple hits and misses I've read lately. Let's start with the not-so-great and save the bests for last.

Misses: 
 A Feast for Crows by George R. R. Martin.
   4th book into the series. It took me FOREVER to finish this. Just not attention-grabbing. Almost none of the characters we know and love or hate. Too long. I almost never say that, but there just seemed to be so much extraneous stuff. I don't know, my bar was set pretty high with the first book in this series, and none of them since then have lived up to the first one. And Martin has a knack for doing things to his characters that really piss of readers. Not sure if that has a different effect on other readers, but for me, it just makes me want to stop reading. Though I probably won't - I'm much to invested, especially time-wise, in the series.

Smokin' Seventeen by Janet Evanovich.
   Another case of a series not living up to its previous books. I've had the feeling that this series, while very funny and quick, easy reads, are very much declining. There are most definitely still laugh-out-loud moments, the story lines are getting more stupid and as much as I hate to say it, the writing just isn't as good as it once was. Plus, I hate that she sacrifices quality and quantity just to churn these books out every year (and this case, 2 books in less that a half year). The print is ridiculously big and the margins are even more ridiculously sized. Little things, I know, but when you notice a beloved and fun series in decline, you notice more and more things that make you roll your eyes.

 Hits: 


A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.
   Man, this book was good! A nice, big book and so well-written. I've dubbed this a "smart" vampire and witch novel. Not hokey and full of history, intrigue, and smart characters. You can read my quick review here.





Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson.
   Jenny Lawson, better know as The Bloggess, is as irreverent and hilarious as they come. This memoir tells about her life growing up, her trials with debilitating depression and anxiety, and life as a wife and mother. If you want to laugh until you pee your pants one minute, and tear up because of sympathy with major struggles, this is the book you want to read. Warning: Not for the faint of heart. She's odd, cusses worst than a sailor, and refers to her lady parts more often that a two-cent whore.




   So, what have you been reading? What do you think of your local library? Are you a book hoarder, or not really interesting in reading at all? Or more likely, just can't seem to find the time? I'm oh-so-interested in your reading lives.

Oh, and because I feel like no post of mine is complete without a complimentary digiscrap page, I give to you my favorite page I created so far...ever.
Full-sized image and credits here

Until next time, friends,

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you on the Stephanie Plum. I don't think I even want to bother reading any more of the new ones.

    I also liked the Discovery of Witches. But I thought the book in the series was kinda boring.

    ReplyDelete