Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Time to read Tuesday

   Tuesday. Again. Man those come fast!

   I've managed to stop and start the same 3 books over and over for about 2 months now. This is so unlike me. The ones I'm stop/starting are The Shadow of Night, A Dance with Dragons, and The Scorch Trials. So I just decided to give them a rest. I'm going to table them for now. So these are the two new books I am reading/will be reading.

The Giver by Lois Lowry

   This young adult book has been around for a long time. First published in 1993, I've been hearing about this book for quite some time. For some reason, I totally had the wrong impression of it. I thought it was some "Where the Red Fern Grows" type of book, and in reality, it's more like a "Insurgent" or even, on a very base level, "The Hunger Games."
   Dystopian literature has been on my radar for a couple years now. In this novel, Jonas lives in a perfect little world, where everyone is assigned everything in life, even down to their mother, father, and sibling. When he gets the news that he was chosen for a very special role, his whole life, and everything he knows about it is turned upside down.
   I'm not too far into this one yet. This is the one I'm listening to at work. But it's keeping my attention. And that's all I ask for in a book!

The Causal Vacancy by J.K. Rowling.

   Everyone who knows me knows that I am a Harry Potter freak. And I'm not ashamed. HP is my favorite series and I'm a huge Jo Rowling fan. So when we heard she was coming out with an adult fiction book, I knew I wanted to read it. I hope I can go into it without expectations. I know it's not going to be anything like HP, of course, but I love Jo Rowling for her writing style and how she can weave a story and suck you in. I'm hoping this novel does the same for me. I have it in my possession, but have yet to crack it open.

So, what have you all been reading? Anything that's so awesome that I should just drop everything and read it? I do so love books like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment